A Brief History
The Show was first held in Ashford, Kent in 1924. In 1925, 1929, 1930 and 1935 it was held at the Royal Horticultural Society's Hall in London. In 1937, in order to attract a new section of the public, it was held in Selfridges. It was also staged there in 1946.
In the intervening years, with the exception of the war years, the show was held in conjunction with the County Agricultural Society's Show at various centres in Kent. The Show was held at Folkestone in 1939 and was officially opened by the Earl David Lloyd George of Dwyfor who, for some years, was a prominent exhibitor.
Sir Winston Churchill, his wife and daughter Mary, visited the Show in 1948 and sampled some of the magnificent fruit displayed. In 1989 Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth 11 visited the show, accompanied by Mr J A Worley.